Thursday, February 4, 2010

Junior Year

So here we are, and I haven't posted in nearly a year. I was never really a good blogger to begin with, so we'll try it again

Academics
Taking 18 hours this semester, all in the same building and all but one in the same classroom. Not sure what my favorite is, and though the scenery can be quite monotonous, I absolutely adore most everyone in my major, so I love being in classes with them all the time. As much as I love being in class. I have a topic selected for Sr. Research, which will be designed this semester, submitted to the IRB, and conducted in the Fall. I can't believe I have less than a year and a half left. And I can't believe I only have three months left with the dear FAMS seniors!

Extracurricular
Secretary of Spanish club, which hasn't meant much this semester yet. Working Mondays at an after-school program at a local church/school for K-2 children, I love it. Children are so sweet and there's nothing like a kindergardner hugging "Miss Sandra" to make me forget the worries of the day. Tutoring ESL students on Thursday. I already love those students and am just so proud of them and how hard they are trying and are achieving. Still trying to stay connected at Sav-A-Life, but nothing has opened up there where I have availability. Playing with the babies about one Sunday a month at church, so darling, but lots of the babies I started with are about to age up to the next nursery. Need to start going back to college group for church.

Reading/Watching/Listening
Pleasure reading: Love and War by John Jakes. I was on a good streak but haven't touched it in nearly a week. An epic novel, so sometimes its great and some parts drag. Of course, someone else would disagree on which parts are great, and which drag.

Devotional reading: A Woman After God's Own Heart by Elizabeth George. Unfortunately, in Christian literature, I find myself at the age between "young woman" (which is generally geared towards middle and high school) and "woman" (which definitely means husand and normally also children. Captivating is the exception). Though it has so far been good to read and pray about the future (and thank God for the woman my Mama has been in my life), it has not seemed particularly relevant to my life as it stands now. Next time I want a book for women, I'm heading to the "Singles Interest" section.

Watching: Monday nights (or Tuesday afternoons, depending on my schedule) mean its Bachelor time. Not really following Idol or anything else. Excited about some of the new movies coming out, not so much about their V-Day placement, but that's for another post.

Listening: Country of course, but I've also been rediscovering some old classics. Particularly Amy Grant, Point of Grace, and Travis Tritt. My Mama and Dad would be so happy.



Personal/Social
Things are going good with my friends. For the relatives who don't talk with me that frequently but read this, yes, I am still single. It happens when you go to a school that's 75% your own gender. Looking forward to going to Mobile for Mardi Gras and NOT watching couples snuggle this weekend. Thinking about what I'm doing with the rest of my life and am starting to lead more and more towards teaching, but not wanting to do the extra education. Trying not to play the "what if" game: What if I had known I wanted to teach? Where would I have gone? What would my life be like at Texas A&M? (The school I looked at most closely that I've seen has a bilingual ed program. It also has a nearly even guy/girl ratio, possibly even more guys than girs! And Big 12 football). But as Tim Rushlow of Little Texas sang:

Try not to think about what might have been,

cause that was then, and we have taken different roads
We can't go back again, there's no use giving in
And there's no way to know what might have been



No comments:

Post a Comment